Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Self Directed Learning

Hi Everybody,

As a PMP, one has to earn 60 PDUs towards recertification in a cycle.
There are total 5 categories under which one can get PDU.

Out of that, there is one category "2-SDL" which gives PDU for self-directed learning activities for individualized learning events. I am presently reading a book on Primal Leadership(1) from Daniel Goleman. Below is the extract from the said book on Self-directed learning.
Most of the companies use something called Developmental strategy or goal for individuals. This theory is equally applicable in that case too.

=======================

Self-directed learning: Intentionally developing or strengthening an aspect of who you are or who you want to be, or both. This requires first getting a strong image of your ideal self, as well as your real self.

This model of learning was developed by Richard Boyatzis (coauthor of the said book). This learning involves five discoveries. The goal is to use each discovery as a tool for making changes. This has been explained better in the picture below.

1) My ideal self
- Who Do I want to be?
2) My real self
- Who am I? What are my strengths and gaps?
3) My learning agenda
- How I can build on my strengths while reducing my gaps?
4) Experiment and practise
- New behaviors, thoughts, and feelings to the point of mastery.
Practise new leadership skills.
5) Developing supportive and trusting relationship that make change possible.

Although this model is called self-directed learning process, it actually cannot be alone. Others' involvement is a must for lasting change. Self-directed learning is most effective and sustainable when you understand the process of change -and the steps to achieve it-as you go through it.

=============
Catch you next time,
Mahesh Masurkar, PMP
1: Primal Leadership -Realizing the power of Emotional Intelligence
By Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis & Annie McKee

No comments:

Post a Comment